passer le menu
Charpentiers d'Europe et d'ailleurs
Arpajon covered market (Essonne), late 15th century. Framework: longitudinal section, view looking north. Arpajon covered market (Essonne), late 15th century.
Historic monument, listed 3 February 1921

The Arpajon covered market was built in the late 15th century for Louis Mallet de Granville. Dendochronology allows us to date the felling of the timber to 1466. Originally, the structure was used as a livestock market. Its structure is similar to that of the primitive structure of the Saint-Catherine church in Honfleur, also from the late 15th century. Medieval covered markets and barns often had a triple-nave form, which gave them a large internal space (for Arpajon, this space measures 43 meters long by 16 meters wide). The truss and purlin structure is further reinforced by secondary elements, including collar trusses, braces and brackets. Pegged mortise and tenon or half-lap joints are used.
These types of structures were always located in the town or city centre, and many have disappeared following urban development projects. In the 19th and 20th centuries, metal became the preferred material for covering large market spaces.

Bibliography

  • Bailly (Gilles-Henri) and Laurent (Philippe), 1998, La France des halles et marchés, Toulouse, Privat
  • Leloup (Daniel), 1999, Halles de Bretagne, cinq siècles d’histoire, Rennes, Editions Apogée.
  • Hoffsummer (Patrick), 2002, Les charpentes du XIe au XIXe siècle, typologie et évolution en France du nord et en Belgique, Paris, Editions du patrimoine, planche 53, p. 239.

Associated media

 
111
111
111
111
111
111
111
111
8
medias
Arpajon, Essonne, France
Arpajon, Essonne, France